Lawyers for Lisa Smith ask for charges to be dropped

Lisa Smith’s defence lawyers have described a statement by former Minister of State Lucinda Creighton about the Dundalk woman’s bid to have ISIS membership charges against her dismissed as “a blatant contempt of court”.

Defence counsel Michael O’Higgins SC, for Smith, raised the matter at the Special Criminal Court about a statement released last week.

Smith, aged 39, from Dundalk, Co Louth is charged with an offence contrary to the Criminal Justice (Terrorist Offences) Act 2005 for being a member of unlawful terrorist group Islamic State (ISIS) between October 28, 2015 and December 1, 2019.

She is also charged under the same legislation for financing terrorism by sending €800 in assistance, via a Western Union money transfer, to a named man on May 6, 2015.

Creighton, who is described in the statement as an advisor to the “Counter Extremism Project” (CEP), said that she was “deeply concerned” at the legal application made by Smith’s lawyers and said it was “imperative” that the courts push ahead with the trial.

Sean Gillane, SC for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) said he would take instructions from the DPP and report back to the non-jury court.
Mr Justice Tony Hunt said he was unsure what application was being made but the court had no view to offer on the matter. He said the three judges would await the response from the DPP.

This entry was posted in Articles. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.